Thursday, January 24, 2013

Components of a perfect Sundance film - sex, a small dog and giant pencils in "Sightseers"

I got lucky! I thought I was going to be at Sundance for nearly a week without seeing a single film, but on Sunday, we got our hands on tickets to a midnight showing of "Sightseers," a dark comedy, at the Yarrow.

Cool coincidence that I heard director Ben Wheatley speak earlier in the day at Cinema Cafe on a panel with directors who spoke about how they became interested in the horror genre of films. (Disclosure: my client sponsored the panel.)


Ben Wheatley on the left talking about how he got his start in the horror film genre

He was pretty entertaining during the Q&A. He said the film had three components for the perfect movie: sex, a small dog and giant pencils! He was right - I loved it! Super funny dark comedy. At first I was wondering why he was on the horror panel that morning since the movie was a comedy, but it didn't take long to see some gory bits.

"Sightseers" was a great choice for a midnight movie - it was funny, fast-moving and only 90 minutes.

My two hours at the movie was my longest period of being awake and not working. Not complaining, but the pace has been frenetic.

Here's my list of other Sundance films that I would love to see:

Two Mothers (Naomi Watts)
S-VHS (same director as Blair Witch Project)
Lovelace (Amanda Seyfried)

Don Jon's Addiction (Joseph Gordon-Levitt's directing debut, Scarlett Johansson)
Before Midnight (sequel to Before Sunset with Ethan Hawk and Julie Delpy)
A.C.O.D. (Amy Poehler and Jessica Alba)
Emanuel and the Truth about Fishes (Jessica Biel)
Hell Baby (Leslie Bibb)....Realized that this was the girl I saw on the street whom I couldn't place. Duh.

Afternoon Delight (Jane Lynch, Josh Radnor)
Ain't Them Bodies Saints (Casey Affleck)
C.O.G (David Sedaris adaptation)
Sound City (Dave Grohl)
jOBS (Ashton Kutcher)
The Way, Way Back (Steve Carell)
Ass Backwards
Breathe In

No comments:

Post a Comment