Thursday, February 16, 2012

Celebrating 4 years of travel blogging at Nobu

Pic: courtesy rodrigues.se

I'm celebrating my four-year blogging anniversary today!

Since I was in NYC again for work, I marked the occasion with a fantastic dinner at Nobu last night. If you remember (What? You don't remember where I ate during my trip four years ago?), I went to Nobu in London - the trip that sparked this whole blog. Like in London, I dined at Nobu in Tribeca alone, but this time by choice instead of being stood up by a reporter. :)

Since my dinner was fairly late and I wasn't that hungry, I noshed on small plates: rock shrimp, a veggie roll (no awesome sushi since I'm pregs) and life-changing veggie tempura. I tried avocado (OMG), sweet potato and pumpkin. (For a Cleveland veggie tempura experience, try the broccoli tempura app at XYZ Tavern in Gordon Square.)

I checked for rezzies earlier this week and since none were available for 29 days (!), I sat at the bar, which was actually a great spot since I got to watch all of the sushi roll prep.

So, after four years about writing about my travel adventures, what observations can I share? Here are my top 5:

  1. Even after two trips to Asia, I'm still clumsy with chopsticks
  2. When in a new city/country, if you're polite and make an effort to assimilate, locals will help you
  3. I'm so fortunate to be able to travel because of the jobs I've had, which make for low-risk and low-cost trips
  4. Having the means to travel, makes me appreciate being based in Cleveland, which is a wonderful place to live
  5. Since I've become a mom, it's important to me to instill a love of travel and culture curiosity in my kids
On that last note, it's funny -- after a trip we're planning for April, Dylan will have been in five states before he turns two. I still have more than half of all of the states to visit! And, I've still not been to Mexico. Once kid #2 comes along (Kabongo), travel will become more interesting (and expensive), but I'm optimistic!

4 comments: